Lee’s Summit West High School provides a rigorous education that empowers each learner to become a responsible, productive member in a diverse and changing world.
OUR VISION STATEMENTS
The vision for Diversity at Lee’s Summit West is to:
- Recognize that we live, learn and look differently.
- Create a culture of respect and acceptance by supporting individual differences and uniqueness.
- Prepare students to be a viable part of a global society.
- Ensure that each student feels safe, accepted, and celebrated.
The vision for Academic Achievement at Lee’s Summit West is to:
- Prepare students to adapt to a diverse and rapidly changing society.
- Develop independent and reflective thinkers.
- Challenge students to engage in a rigorous course of study.
- Empower students to be involved in their learning and assessment of such learning.
The vision for Culture and Climate at Lee’s Summit West is to:
- Develop positive relationships among students, staff, and parents.
- Inspire a supportive and encouraging learning environment.
- Encourage students to persevere and excel intellectually and ethically as they engage in academic and extracurricular pursuits.
The vision for Assessment at Lee’s Summit West is to:
- Provide each student with multiple assessment opportunities that assist in the preparation of postsecondary decisions.
- Develop a balance between formative and summative assessments to monitor student learning, and track progress toward learning targets, instruction, and program evaluation.
- Develop formative assessments that are derived from essential standards and supported by clear learning targets written in student friendly language.
The vision for Literacy/21st Century skills at Lee’s Summit West is to:
- Reflect a culture in which each student will read and write for purpose and pleasure.
- Provide students access to information that they use in an ethically responsible manner.
- Ensure each student has the ability to synthesize information for presentation and publication.
- Provide students and teachers access to current technology and training.
- Ensure that each student demonstrates the ability to apply 21st century skills now and in the future.
The vision for Professional Development/PLC’s at Lee’s Summit West is to:
- To ensure that all members of the learning community promote and uphold the development, implementation, and support of district and building initiatives.
- Develop high-performing collaborative teams to better support each student.
- Demonstrate a staff-wide commitment to professional growth and continual school improvement.
The vision for Advisory/Intervention at Lee’s Summit West is to:
- Provide students with a medium that challenges them to form meaningful relationships with adults and peers.
- Create an intervention system that connects all components, is accessible, and effective for each student.
- Maintain a system of intervention that identifies and addresses all areas of concern.
- Integrate interventions into the school day on a regular basis.
- Develop a pyramid of response to interventions.
The vision for School & Community Partnerships at Lee’s Summit West is to:
- Continue to foster, build relationships, and work collaboratively with local businesses, colleges, individuals, and parents.
- Continue to develop and enhance internship programs, field experiences, and leadership opportunities through volunteer efforts and service learning.
- Expand the Partners in Education program to include instructional support from local business partners as indicated by curriculum outcomes.
- Work collaboratively with community leaders to provide resources that enable Lee’s Summit West to offer exemplary academic and co-curricular programs.
OUR FACULTY COMMITMENTS
- We will provide a supportive school atmosphere where everyone feels emotionally, physically, and intellectually safe.
- We will model acceptance and respect of all people.
- We will develop curriculum to teach students to respect differences in other.
- We will provide opportunities for students to learn about other cultures and to celebrate their own.
- We will provide high quality training and technology access in order to prepare literate citizens for the 21st century.
- We will participate in professional collaboration and development in order to enhance student achievement and model learning for life.
- Faculty and staff will encourage and challenge the academic, social, and personal development of each student through the creation and implementation of an intervention system that is frequent, accessible, individualized and organized.
- We will designate an all student assessment day with PSAT, PLAN and ACT.
- We will provide guidance to students in the selection of appropriate assessments based on career pathways.
- We will offer ACT/PSAT test readiness programs for each student.
- We will implement a balanced approach between formative and summative assessments.
- We will utilize collaboration time to develop and evaluate formative, benchmark, and summative assessments.
- We will differentiate our instruction based upon assessment data.
- We will attend district sponsored training and collaboration to develop balanced assessments based upon district expectations.
- We will work collaboratively with students, parents, staff, and community members to ensure a quality educational foundation.
- We commit to maintain positive communication with parents, students, and each other through involvement in the school and community.
- We will promote an academic culture that develops independent and reflective thinkers through the establishment of high expectations.